- Mechanism of Action: Antiviral; inhibits DNA polymerase
- Indications: Commonly used to treat oral/genital herpes, varicella, zoster (shingles), and VZV encephalitis.
- Contraindications: allergy to class/drug
- Dosage: depends on condition; common dosage is 800mg PO 5x/day x 7 days.
- Half-life: 2.5 – 3.3 hours
- Adverse Reactions: Common side effects include N/V, headache, and rash. Serious reactions include hallucinations/psychosis
- Special Considerations: N/A
*Deep Dive: Acyclovir (WikEM)
Latest posts by Brandon Simpson, PA-C (see all)